An informal gathering of furs for a day fun and food. Starting from a small gathering, even then we felt the need to bring local friends together for a day away. That community effort has continued, with this annual event for our community of furries and furry fans to enjoy a picnic and bbq.
Our event grows ever year, so we have moved to a group reserved area within Irvine Regional Park. With a large section of picnic tables, we are set for any food brought to this potluck event. No shortage of different kinds of food to enjoy. The reserved area has a nice shaded, grassy area that leaves one plenty of room to run around, play sports, and frolic in fursuit.
How to Get to Our Picnic Area: When you come through the park gates, take a right. You will make your way through the park, past the railroad and OC Zoo Keep going along the road until reach Lot 13 (to your left). This looks to be the end, but it isn’t. Make a right and then a left, passing some park access gates. Parking Lot 14 is the closest to our reserved camping area, but you can also continue onto 15 for additional parking.
We Invite You All
Our potluck event has always been a lot of fun because of how much the community gets involved. From tasty food to sports/entertainment items, we appreciate contribution to this event. Here are some helpful tips and advice…
- ICE ICE, BABY! Yes, we don’t need enough ice to build an igloo come morning but we sure need to have ice supplied throughout the day. So, if you are coming to the FurBQ later on, it won’t hurt to grab a bag of ice on the way in. The more this small act happens, the more we can guarantee that food and beverages will remain cold.
- We never seem to have problems with variety and many of us are pro-active and that they want to see out of this event. If you want to wait until just before you get there to pick up food, the nearest supermarket is the Albertson’s on Chapman & Jamboree.
- If you are bringing meat for the grill, please notify our grill staff. Our grills (and grilling staff) will be on both sides of you as you come up the ramp. Meat products will be stored together in separate coolers. If you have brought your own cooler for storing meat, than please make sure you keep it close to your picnic area, and have it placed in the shade.
- In addition to the grills SoCalFurs staff are using, there are 2 other sets of “free” grills. These grills are free to use, but we encourage uses of our handy grill labels. These are to help establish a grill just for fish, just for meat, and just for veggies. Staff institutes such consideration for our own grill area, out of allergen and diet concerns. If you come across a grill and see it already labeled, please observe all grill labels.
- There is a spout nearby to get water. Please keep in mind that you will be responsible for the safety of yourself and others, and are required to clean up after yourself.
- Mayonnaise must be in single-serving packets. Due to prior incidents involving improperly stored mayo and people becoming sick, please do not bring jars of mayo. Mayo in a jar tends to go bad very quickly (cooler or not) while it sits out in the open.
- For the safety of those with allergies, Please: NO FISH PRODUCTS OR PRODUCTS WITH PEANUTS! FurBQ staff wants to keep these kinds of things separate. We will not allow any fish products to be placed on the SoCalFurBQ grills. Peanut products should not be grilled… period.
- The FurBQ will pick up after itself for this large event. Our event ends at 8:30pm. We know many people may have time constraints, but we ask as many people to stay back and help the cleanup process be more efficient. Group Area 3 is large, and we can use some help in making sure we pick up after ourselves, and with time to spare before park close.
- During FurBQ 2018, Stego was making a meat run, and noticed some people parking in “no parking” zones (along the left side of the park road, just before the entrance to our main parking lot). Please note all “No Parking” signs along Park road.
- We know that many of you like to use drones for our big fursuit group shot and to get photos not possible from the ground. We have looked into local laws. As of now, we see no specific rule barring drones in the city of Orange or within Irvine Regional Park. However, we ask all of those operating a drone to do so responsibly. We also suggest consulting the B4UFLY app from the FAA which will give real-time updates on restrictions in the Irvine Park area.
Irvine Regional Park has a number of activities within. This includes a lake with paddle boats, the Irvine Park Railroad, the OC Zoo ($2/person, opens at 10 a.m.) and even some hiking trails near to our picnic area. For additional info specific to Irvine Regional Park, feel free to view the park brochure. By phone, Irvine Regional Park can be reached at (714) 973-6835.
Please be on your best behavior and follow all posted signs. With FurBQ being hosted in a paid/reserved area, we are now obligated to formally list rules, in addition to our informal set of rules and guidelines.
- There is NO in-and-out privileges when parking inside Irvine Regional Park: Please arrange with friends to bring in additional items if you find you need something, or consider riding a bike to the store.
- All parked vehicles must be completely inside a designated parking space: If you need to temporarily double-park to unload, please leave someone with the vehicle. For those who find a parking spot next to the wall, please observe the white marked lines on the ground and park only within the designated spaces. One should attempt to park fully in a designated parking stall or risk getting fined or towed by the park.
- While our event is held in a reserved area, the parking lot is for everyone. We encourage our attendees to carpool, when possible.
- There is absolutely no vending at the SoCalFurBQ, per park rules and permit policies. If you are an artist that is wanting to drop off work to your clients, thats fine. The problem comes up as soon as money starts changing hands. This is considered vending. Don’t do it.
- Be sure to keep all private coolers out of the cooking area. Coolers of any kind in the cooking areas surrounding the SoCal Furs’ grills and condiments table will get appropriated for communal food storage. Please look after your private cooler and keep it in the shade to get the most out of your ice. We encourage the labeling of your cooler.
- As large as a group as we are, we have to make sure that the MOOP (Matter Out Of Place, aka TRASH) is properly collected and disposed of. This also includes your personal effects. In the end, anything left at the park is up to us to trash out, or (if it looks like something important) goes into our Lost and Found. We can only take on so much, as we have a hard time tracking people down.
- Large sound systems are NOT allowed at Irvine Regional Park. This includes megaphones, car audio systems and items with large speakers. We love music and do not mind someone bringing a personal radio, but please be considerate to other groups around us.
- Tents and hammocks are prohibited in Irvine Regional Park. While fursuiting is encouraged at our event, we did have to talk to the park about shade structures and portable pavilions (also called “Easy Up”s). They do allow us to place such structures on our reserved area, providing that one wall (“door”) is left open in the times that no one is changing clothing. We always hope that a portable pavilion can be created for this year’s event, but it does carry responsibility on keeping the rangers happy with us.
- All Four-legged attendees must be on a leash. As per park rules, you must clean up after them (no landmines should be left in the grassy areas). Additionally, please be responsible for your dog’s behavior when interacting with other attendees and dogs.