Ladies and Gentlemen, Vixens and Dogs, Kits and Pups:
This is it! The official sign-up sheet for the West Hollywood’s Halloween Costume Carnaval! This is one awesome event for anyone who is hesitant on fursuiting in public. In 2009, this was Zentrin’s and Whiskey’s first time fursuiting in public and they both walked away with an extremely positive experience.
Essentially, the Costume Carnaval is a slow moving, unorganized parade of people in all different types of costumes. Half a million people show up for this event and slowly walk down the middle of a major street and enjoy the atmosphere and costumes around them. They’re armed with cameras and are looking for interesting and memorable costumes to take pictures of.
The initial plan is the same as previous years. We’ll park around Norm’s Restaurant (a couple blocks south of Santa Monica Blvd) and eat there. Free parking will be tough to find, but if you show up early enough, it should be no problem. ….If you show up late, expect to pay at least $20 for parking in the public lots. (See the link below for parking rates in West Hollywood during this event.)
After we fill our gullets, we’ll make our way back to our cars, suit up, then start walking to the parade route. If this event is anything like past years, it won’t be long until people are giving us hi-fives and taking pictures of us.
When we get to the start of the parade (by the Domino’s Pizza), all bets are off. In the past, we did a good job of sticking together and wandering down the parade route as a group, as we were only a group of less than 10. Since then, we have had too many people to stay organized as a single group. Try to stay in small groups! Never separate and walk by yourself. At the end of the event, we’ll head back to our parking spots and go our separate ways. (We might go back to Norm’s for a late night dinner.)
A little bit to think about before signing up. All this information is based from the past years.
- Plan accordingly.
- The event is from 6:00pm and 11:00pm.
- We’ll definitely be there after sun down.
- The route is roughly 1 1/2 miles long and parking is at least another 1/2 mile away. So expect to be walking a good 3+ miles. Make sure you have comfortable shoes/paws.
- Be prepared to be in fursuit for about 4-6 hours. (In the past, we have taken a small break at the Pavilions grocery store about halfway down the route.)
- Bathrooms are limited and have long lines, so make sure you use the restroom at Norm’s before we head out.
- Water is sparse, so bring enough for yourself or expect to pay a bit for drinks.
- There are a few convenient stores open along the route if things are needed.
- Fursuiters are definitely the highlight of this event, so expect to be stopped every few feet for pictures. A few times we had a line waiting for pictures with us.
- This is definitely an adult event. Expect to see things that you cannot un-see.
- There is a good possibility of being on TV, a website, or a Youtube video.
- Bring some cash for dinner and/or drinks along the way just in case.
- If we weren’t wearing a layer of fur, I’d suggest sunscreen due to the intensity and quantity of flash bulbs going off around us.
Rules and Policies:
- No drama. Be gone!
- No drugs. If you’re on something and you show up, you will not be welcome in our group.
- Be on your best behavior and look the part. Many people have a negative impression of the furry fandom thanks to CSI, MTV, etc. Let’s leave the parade-goers with a good impression of the fandom. This includes clothing – don’t wear shirts that knock the furry fandom.
- If you insist on drinking alcohol, keep in mind that there are a limited amount of bathrooms available. In the past, people had to wait in excess of 30 minutes just to use the port-a-potties in a pharmacy’s upstairs parking lot.
- Try to keep the groups together during the parade. We had small problems with fursuiters getting stopped for pictures and getting separated from the group.
- Do not bring anything valuable with you to the event (e.g. purses, jewelry, expensive watches, etc). Even though we will be surrounded by a lot of people, theft is still possible. When in doubt, leave it in the car and well hidden from view. (“Lock It, Hide It, Keep It”)
- If you sign up and later decide you can’t make it, send me a message so we aren’t waiting and trying to call you.
If you are interested in attending, please send me an e-mail so I can try to organize us into a group.
The RED is the parade route (these roads are closed to vehicles).
The ORANGE is the suggested parking area. These are residential streets and might have free parking. Read the street signs!
The BLACK CIRCLE is where the Norm’s restaurant is. 470 North La Cienega Boulevard, West Hollywood, CA 90048
The GREEN CIRCLE is where the Domino’s Pizza is, where we will all head out about 6pm. 902 North La Cienega Boulevard, West Hollywood, CA 90048